Worksystems, Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that pursues and invests resources to improve the quality of the workforce and the lives of workers in the city of Portland, and Multnomah and Washington counties. Our mission is to coordinate a regional workforce system that supports individual prosperity and business competitiveness. We are the area’s most effective means of connecting workforce development funding with the community-based organizations best-positioned to make the most out of it. Worksystems brings together good-faith actors – direct-service providers, government agencies, private-sector enterprises, and community nonprofits – to work toward something that makes us all proud: a closer-knit, more prosperous, more equitable metro region.
Worksystems is committed to promoting and supporting Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in all aspects of our internal and external work. JEDI values are embedded across our HR policies and practices, as well as a core indicator of success metrics in our Strategic Plan. Our team is dedicated to increasing our individual awareness, creating more equitable and inclusive spaces for our employees, partners, and jobseekers, and combatting systems of oppression.
About the Position:
The Accounting & Payroll Specialist sits on the Fiscal team and reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer, but may also receive direction from the Controller. The Accounting & Payroll Specialist’s main priorities are related to supporting the Fiscal team with accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts and disbursement processing, and payroll processing. This position works closely with the entire Fiscal team and plays a critical role in helping all employees across the organization collaborate with and abide by set Fiscal policies.
- Processes accounts payable, including:
- Review of invoices for accuracy, completeness, and reasonableness.
- Verifies supporting documentation is complete, ensures that proper approvals have been obtained; resolves discrepancies.
- Determines correct general ledger account codes, enters invoices in the accounting system, and processes payments to vendors.
- Manages recurring invoices, maintains vendor records, and performs 1099 reporting tasks.
- Responds to vendor inquiries promptly and professionally.
- Supports Accountants with preparing and entering accounts receivable invoices in accounting system, ensures supporting documentation is complete, records payments received on accounts receivable. Resolves discrepancies, responds to client inquiries, follows up on unpaid receivables. Prepares certain accounts receivable invoices and submits to clients.
- Responds promptly and courteously to employee inquiries related to accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Prepares journal entries; reconciles travel advances and credit card statements, and other accounts as assigned.
- Ensure payroll is processed and accurately, in partnership with HR, and in compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Prepare and post the payroll expense journal entry in the Financial Edge accounting system after each payroll cycle.
- Prepare and post the payroll cash disbursement journal entry after each payroll cycle.
- Assists with calculation and preparation of employee final checks.
- Helps prepare information for annual audit.
- Prepares reports from accounting system and other records as requested.
- Collects and collates employee service code information.
- Assists accounting team with monthly close and other tasks as required.
What You Can Expect to Accomplish in the First 6 Months:
- Learn Worksystems’ Fiscal processes and policies. Understand general ledger and funds.
- Train in Blackbaud Financial Edge Accounts Payable module. By the end of two months, this person should transition to full ownership of AP processing.
- Participate in fiscal team projects related to the transition from paper documentation to electronic systems.
- Train in ADP and learn Worksystems payroll processes. By the end of six months, this person should transition to full ownership of payroll processing.
- Follow established processes for cash disbursements (manual checks and ACH payments); compliance with audit standards; payroll processing and payroll journal entries.
- Become the main point of contact internally for employees who have questions about reimbursement policies, and externally for vendors submitting invoices.
- Assist the Fiscal team with company-wide projects related to policy updates and company training.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of methods and practices of financial recordkeeping, general accounting principles, and payroll processing best practices required. Some experience with cash receipts is desirable, but not required.
- Prior experience in accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll processing required. Prior experience in fund accounting or cost centers at a non-profit is desirable, but not required.
- Prior experience with automated AP systems required. Bonus if the candidate has previously helped an organization through the implementation of a new automated AP system.
- Familiarity with these specific tools is beneficial but not required: Blackbaud Financial Edge, ADP Workforce Now.
- Intermediate Excel skills and ability to work within established accounting software system required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team player.
*A note on qualifications: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
- Mostly sedentary work while utilizing standard office equipment including: a computer, keyboard, and telephone.
- Occasional need to navigate around the office environment to access filing cabinets.
- Ability to lift banker boxes (10-15 lbs)
- Work environment: hybrid. The Accounting & Payroll Specialist will be expected to work from our downtown Portland office every Tuesday, and may be asked to attend other in-person meetings as needed. All other work days are flexible, with options to work from home or from the office.
- Be accessible during standard business hours ~9am – 5pm PT
*Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request accommodation, please email email@example.com.
Salary & Benefits:
- Starting Salary Expectations: $27 / hr – $34 / hr (New hires will generally not exceed this range, based on experience and internal equity).
- Salary Grade: $27 / hr – $51 / hr
- Medical (including vision) and dental plans with employer contribution toward monthly premiums
- 401k plan with up to 6% match, 100% vested at the time of enrollment
- Generous PTO
- 4 hours of Volunteer Leave per month
- 8 free sessions with mental health providers, unlimited free financial coaching, and 25% legal discounts through Canopy EAP
Note: Worksystems employees must live in the state of Oregon or Washington for payroll processing purposes. Although we operate in a hybrid work environment, proximity to the Portland Metro Area is required for this role. Employees may be required to attend in-person meetings in the Portland Metro Area, sometimes with same-day notice.
To Apply, click on this link: https://apply.workable.com/worksystems/j/E93BC4D6A8/
First review of applications will be 2/23/2024. Applications received after 2/23/2024 will be reviewed on a rolling basis as needed. Position open until filled.