Worksystems convenes partners, designs programs, coordinates services, and invests funds to help job seekers acquire the skills they need to support themselves and to meet the staffing needs of regional industry. The region's public workforce development system - WorkSource Portland Metro (WSPM) - serves as our primary investment vehicle and we provide oversight to ensure the highest quality services.
We are continually working to integrate workforce programs and services funded by other partner agencies into the public system to align resources, increase efficiency, and generate better outcomes for job seekers. Through the creation of the Aligned Partner Network, we have strategically connected over 20 community agencies to training and employment services for their clients through WSPM while leveraging each agency's expertise in providing the necessary support to maximize successful participation in our programs. We believe that this aligned approach helps move people into career-track employment through a coordinated progression of services and resources.
The current unemployment rate is 6.4%, equaling 44,200 people.
Over 100,000 people visit WorkSource Portland Metro each year to access an array of employment and training services funded by our investments including:
- Testing for the National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC)
- Occupational skills training including internships and On-the-Job Training (OJT)
- Preparation to meet the requirements for Talent Link, a certified work-ready pool of candidates that receive priority for job placement
- Prosperity Planner and other career planning assistance
- Job readiness and resume workshops, job search and job placement
- Adult basic education including ESL, GED, math and/or English and computer literacy classes
- Self paced e-learning lab and resource room